Mercury Filled Light Bulbs Extremely Dangerous To You
Those new bulbs are mercury poison time bombs.
If they blow up, which they do.
They will emit a very hazardous mercury vapour into the closed air environment of your home.
I believe that the mercury will stay in your home indefinetely.
Breathing in the mercury vapor or getting the mercury into any open sores or cuts on your body will be very hazzardous to your health.
These new bulbs are NOT more energy efficient.
Plus the cost to the environment in their manufacture is also very dreadful.
Do a search online for mercury poisoning to learn more
Below you will find videos and articles and I will add more as I find them.
So please learn the truth and share the truth with everyone.
Be the peoples media as the corporate media will never tell you or us any truth about anything ever.
Light Bulbs vs. The Nanny State (2.07 Minutes) October 5, 2009 “In September 2009, the European Union banned the sale of 100-watt incandescent light bulbs, with lawbreakers facing up to $70,000 in fines. Over the next few years, bans on lower-wattage bulbs kick in. In the United States, similar legislation comes into play in 2012. The idea is to kickstart the market for compact fluorescent lights (CFLs), which use less energy than conventional incandescents. Although CFLs present any number of problems (even beyond a much higher initial cost), governments all over the globe are determined to make them the new standard.” Produced by Meredith Bragg and Nick Gillespie.
Remy: Missing You – The Incandescent Light Bulb Song (2.30 Minutes) December 1, 2011. Remy mourns the impending loss of his beloved incandescent light bulbs with a song set to familiar music.
Written and performed by Remy and produced by Meredith Bragg
Directory:Compact Fluorescent Lighting (CFL) Downsides
Don’t Last Like Linear Fluorescent Bulbs
- Compact Fluorescent Light is One Crispy Critter – Margery Conner said; “CFL lifetime is influenced by its application… lights that are installed in either down lights or ceiling globes in my house have a much shorter life than those installed in a table lamp.” (Electronics Weekly; Nov. 5, 2008)
- “Since they have become a commodity item, most of the CFLs on the market are cheaply made. A fluorescent lamp should last for decades. In fact, if you live in an older house you may have some conventional straight or circular lamps which have been in place for decades and are still functioning well. But the new CFLs have an electronic ballast, and that is where the cheapness is built in. I have never had one of the low cost CFLs from Home Depot or Ace Hardware last even a year, and the part that fails is always the electronic ballast.
- Keep Your Receipts!
- “I have had very bad luck with Sylvania CFLs quiting after about 2 years while the normal lights in the same room are still fine. Keep your receipts! If they promise 5 years hold them to it. I have had to exchange about 5 bulbs so far, all Sylvania! The Philips and others are still going good after 2-3 years and I have had some of the old GE CircleLights last for more than 8 years now.
- “I can’t wait for LED lighting to get affordable, because I am not paying $50.00 and up for a light bulb.” (Kim L. Ground of Tampa, FL USA; April 18, 2007)
Incandescents have a much shorter material list than CFLs. Also factor in the cost of special cradle-to-grave handling and disposal/recycle for CFLs, besides the labor involved in twisting the glass by hand, manufacturing, gathering and soldering the discrete electronic components and hazards involved in coating the glass with phosphors and adding the mercury and other toxic gasses.
No CFLs are manufactured in the Americas or Europe. Why? The health standards for manufacturing are not as strict. All are manufactured in either China or India. Factor in overseas shipping and handling expenses.
Now that you have that long list, figure the carbon footprints.
Incandescents are becoming more efficient as well (GE ceramic technology from 2007).
At the moment, incandescents create 5-10% light and 90-95% of the energy input goes to heat. With CFLs, 25% of the energy input goes towards making light and 75% goes to heat. CLFs are between 10-15% more “energy efficient”, while using as much as 75% less electricity, using sophisticated electronics. (theWatt)
- CFL Ballast Schematic
- CFL Ballast Driver Preheater and dimmer
- Metallized Polyester Film Capacitors
- Power MOSFETs
- CFL component suppliers (India)
The total energy input for the production of a CFL light bulb comes to 1.7kWh compared to 0.3kWh for a single incandescent light bulb.
Note: Not included in the manufacturing costs for CLFs on this graph are the mining of materials associated with the various phosphors or the mercury. Nor are transportation costs factored in (imports).
“8 grammes of waste are produced in the manufacture of the incandescent, but 128 grammes are produced in the manufacture of a Compact fluorescent of which 78 grammes are hazardous.” (Save the Bulb CFL Autopsy) (Original information derived from spreadsheets prepared for the European Parliament Energy savings committee.)
“Most CFLs have a claimed power factor of around 0.52 (where the figure is given at all), so a 15W CFL will actually draw just under 29VA. Because the load is not linear, the current waveform is in phase with the applied voltage, but is discontinuous. This simply means that current is only drawn at the peak of the waveform, and this effect causes a poor power factor just as readily as a phase shift between voltage and current.
The nasty waveform created by CFLs is another thing that is going to come back and bite us on the bum. Any spike waveform means that significant harmonics are added to the mains waveform, and although CFLs are only a small percentage of ‘nasty waveform generators’ at present, the situation will get a lot worse.
An anecdote on the power factor issue was sent to me … Apparently a company in the UK installed a large number of CFLs in a building where the lighting was primarily on one phase. It burnt out the neutral link in the fuse box and caused a small fire! The high peak current of all non-power factor corrected CFLs can cause problems where they are used in large numbers. For example, 25 x 75W (incandescent) lamps will draw 7.8A – just within the 8A rating for lighting circuits in Australia. The power factor is 1 because of the resistive load. If replaced by 25 x 13W CFLs, although the RMS current is lower, the peak current is over 10A (based on the 410mA peak current as shown in Figure 11). No problem at all so far, but …
Here is a practical demonstration of the real impact of power factor CFL versus the Generator
What if the installer decides that many more lamps can be connected to the circuit because of the lower power? Based on the claimed RMS current for a typical 13W CFL (~95mA is typical), it would seem that you can run 80 CFLs on the same lighting circuit (80 x 95mA = 7.6A). Unfortunately, the peak current is 80 x 410mA = 32.8A. The wiring won’t overheat, but in-line connections (junction boxes), switches and other terminations may fail because they are expected to handle the high peak current continuously – well above their design ratings (especially if a connection is very slightly loose). Remember too that the switch-on surge (inrush current) will be many times higher again – if we assume only 4A (fairly low in reality), the first cycle inrush current could be as high as 320A if all lamps are turned on at once!” Power Factor
CFLs work best if left on for over 15 minutes at a time. Saving electricity by turning off CFLs shortens the life of the lamp. How is that efficient? Answer: It is not.
Most CFLs do not work with Dimmer circuits. In fact it can be dangerous to operate standard CFLs on a domestic dimmer, either or both the lamp and dimmer can dangerously overheat! Standard domestic dimmers are a bit of a bodge. They rely on the resistive path of the incandescent lamp to provide a neutral path for the dimmer’s electronics. This doesn’t exist in a CFL. You will find that even CFLs designed for dimming do not respond perfectly, many will flicker badly when turned down and none will dim smoothly to extinction. They rely on a further bodge in electronics to make them wok at all!
Compact Fluorescents still cost more than traditional incandescent light bulbs. Where is the economy in that?
These higher upfront costs can be hard for consumers to bear, but are repaid quickly. A $7 USD bulb will payback between 35-70kwh of usage, depending on market rates. For a 100watt bulb this is 90-180 days based on 4 hours per day usage. Compact Fluorescents more than pay for themselves, if they don’t have to be replaced nearly as often as incandescents and they offer considerable electric operating cost savings of around 75% over incandescents. Poorly manufactured ones can be bought for $1 USD.
- Power Factor Correction >
Are U.S. CFL’s Designed to Make Us Pay More on Our Power Bills? – In Europe, a small capacitor is added to Compact Fluorescent Lamps for power conditioning and additional savings on the utility bills. Similar savings can be realized on AC motors. Why are these inexpensive modifications omitted from U.S. CFLs and many residential motors? (PESWiki; Aug 25, 2008)
- CFLs Causing Utility Woes – EDN reports that compact fluorescent bulbs use more energy than claimed due to their poor power factor, in the range of 0.45 to 0.50. While consumers are only charged 13 Watts for a 60-Watt incandescent equivalent bulb, the utility has to generate 28 watts. (Slashdot; Apr. 8, 2009) (Discussion)
“I am afraid this is not quite true! In Europe. We have the same low power factor lamps as in the US. The only country mandating high power factor lamps is New Zealand where they have 80% generation by renewables, mostly HydroElectric schemes. These are in the South Island, however the main users of electricity are in the North Island. There is a DC interconnector between the two islands that is highly sensitive to power factor variations. Their energy agency demanded power factor of better than 90% on all lamps that were sold under subsidy schemes. The power factor does not affect domestic electricity meters. You are paying for the rated wattage, however twice as much electricity must be generated wiping out 50% of the supposed carbon savings by changing to these lamps!” (Kevan Shaw, Feb. 20. 2009)
- Toxic and Hazardous Materials in Electronics – 77-page PDF. Covers most all known substances used in electronics, as of 2001.
- THE ELECTRICAL SAFETY AUTHORITY RESPONDS TO CONSUMER CONCERNS ABOUT COMPACT FLUORESCENT LAMPS – 1-page PDF The Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) is receiving increasing reports from concerned consumers regarding the end-of-life failure of Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs). (Electrical Safety Authority; March 22, 2007)
- Fieldbreeze CFLs extreme safety hazard – The plastic base is not only NOT flame retardant, but NOT self extinguishing either.
- 2.28 Minutes, February 15, 2010.
Recognizing the Health and Safety Issues
Are you epileptic or have Lupus? If you don’t know, you soon will find out with these bulbs. These bulbs will bring on seizures and skin rashes. Verified.
Dirty Electricity Explained (8.22 Minutes) December 23, 2010
- Health Canada testing compact fluorescent bulbs for harmful radiation – United Kingdom’s Health Protection Agency recommends the bulbs not be used in areas where people spend more than an hour a day within 30 cm of the bare light bulb. (Read the comments section!) (CBCNews.ca; Jan. 21, 2009)
- Health Concerns associated with Energy Efficient Lighting and their Electromagnetic Emissions – 11-page PDF. The energy efficient light bulbs that are currently available may be harming both the environment (mercury content of bulbs is high) and human health (electromagnetic pollution). (Scientific Committee on Emerging and Newly Identified Health Risks (SCENIHR); June 5, 2008)
- Fielding a current idea: exploring the public health impact of electromagnetic radiation – 12-page PDF. “Despite the many challenges in establishing irrefutable scientific proof of harm and the various gaps in elucidating the precise mechanisms of harm, epidemiological analyses continue to suggest considerable potential for injury and affliction as a result of a-NIR (Non-Ionizing Radiation) exposure.” (Elsevier; April 2, 2007)
- Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity – “Although effects of electromagnetic fields on the body are established, sufferers of electromagnetic hypersensitivity report responding to non-ionizing electromagnetic fields (or electromagnetic radiation) at intensities well below those permitted by international safety standards.”
- CFL Impact – “Dedicated to those who are impacted by the CFL’s and Dirty Electricity, as well as the researchers and other professionals who are working so diligently to inform the public about these issues.”
- What Is “Dirty Power”?
“For close to 100 years, high frequency transients—also known as “electrical smog”, “electrical pollution”, as well as “dirty power”—have been a known artifact of 60 Hz electricity. This dirty power, or high frequency transients, is the “fuzz” or oscillating spikes that appear on the humps of the sinusoidal electrical wave when electricity is turned off and on very rapidly. Sources of electricity with this rapid on/off cycling can be varied, including modern electrical equipment, florescent lights, and dimmer switches.” (La Quinta Middle School Cancer Site)
Bonneville Power once published a red book on “Electrical and Biological Effects of Transmission Lines: A Review” from December 1996, that discusses adverse effects to the human body of Electro Magnetic Radiation. It contains excellent information. Their document request line was 1-800-622-4520. Ask for it by name.
There probably should be more concern about mercury content in coal than in CFLs. Mercury is a neurotoxin.
- Mercury Poisoning – Hydrargyria is caused by exposure to Dimethylmercury or Methylmercury and is reversible with chelation therapy as a means of removing heavy metals from the body. There is a recognized link from thimerosal (organomercury found in vaccines) to regressive autism.
- Understanding Mercury in CFLs and Lamp Recycling – 1-page PDF. The five milligrams of mercury in a CFL is roughly equivalent to the amount it would take to cover a ballpoint pen’s tip. There is no substitute in CFLs for mercury at this time. (ICF International)
- Manufacturers are reducing the amount of mercury found in newer CFLs. This will reduce the life of the bulbs, but it will also reduce the possible effects of mercury poisoning or contamination if the bulbs leak or are broken.
- “If a fluorescent lamp is broken, mercury can contaminate the surrounding environment. A 1987 report described a 23-month-old toddler hospitalized due to mercury poisoning traced to a carton of 8-foot fluorescent lamps that had broken. The glass was cleaned up and discarded, but the child often used the area for play.
- Is Mercury from a Broken CFL Dangerous?
- CFL’s Pose Mercury Hazard – While compact fluorescent lights save energy, they pose a health risk if broken in the home. They also pose a disposal hazard. (WorldNetDaily; Apr. 16, 2007)
- The CFL mercury nightmare (Canada.com Financial Post; Apr. 28)
- Mercury Contamination Vs. Energy-Efficient Lightbulbs (Slashdot; Apr. 30)
The experience of a Maine homeowner, and the articles above popularized the opinion that broken CFLs required bio-hazard cleanup. The Maine DEP, the authority upon which that homeowner worked has a more complete record of the event:
- Facts regarding the Prospect, Maine Compact Fluorescent Lamp breakage (Maine Department of Environmental Protection; May, 18, 2007)
“If readings are 300 ng/m3 or less, the area is considered to not require any additional actions.”
“The only value within the room that was over 300 ng/m3 was directly at the bulb breakage location on the carpet.”
“To visualize the area of high readings, it could be covered by a dinner plate. All other values in the room, including in the first floor room where some residue might have fallen through the vent, were well below the 300ng/m3 action level. Based upon this information, the State Toxicologist assured the homeowner that the potential mercury exposure would be very low and likely of negligible health concern.”
In addition, there are other problems with the article ‘CFLs pose mercury hazard’:
1) It refers in several places to ‘the mercury powder’. — mercury is a liquid or gas at room temperature. The gas or vapor is the health risk, liquid mercury poses virtually no risk at all except in that it ‘boils off’ into the vapor at room temperature and normal atmospheric pressure.
2) Who did these mercury level measurements, and how were they made? There is less than a drop of mercury in a CFL or regular fluorescent tube. The test results are highly dependent on the way the samples were collected. A sample taken a few cm from the site of the spill and showing high mercury levels DOES NOT imply a high level of mercury in the room or even a few feet away. Instead of anguishing over the cost and abandoning a room of her house, why doesn’t this woman just cut out the shag carpet and throw it away, then get another measurement made?
(On the second visit) “the Department responder found no measurements over 300 ng/m3, including at the point of impact. However, the carpet piece was removed by the responder at the request of the homeowner.”
- Which Light Bulb are you Using? – A different perspective on a similar accident, that did a little more research. Same state.
The larger health risk with any fluorescent tube beyond mercury, is found in the phosphors – they are rich in beryllium (a known carcinogen), europium, terbium and heavy metals like bismuth, cadmium and strontium found in the electronics.
- Fluorescent Phosphors – Lists phosphors used in Osram/Sylvania fluorescent lamps.
- Beryllium compounds were used in early versions of CFL and we are told it is no longer used in manufacture due to the effects of Berylliosis or chronic beryllium disease (CBD) found in those who manufactured the fluorescent tubes.
Ever seen the results of a cut from a broken fluorescent tube? They get infected quickly and are very slow to heal, usually leaving some ugly scar tissue. The phosphor is the culprit.
UV Light Emissions
- Fluorescent lamps emit a small amount of UV light and a recent study in the US found that UV exposure from sitting under fluorescent lights for eight hours is equivalent to only one minute of sun exposure. However, UV light can affect sensitive paintings, especially watercolours and many textiles, so valuable art work must be protected from fluorescent lighting. The UV light causes UV degradation and can also cause pigment fading.
- Since fluorescent lamps produce a small amount of UV light, they can trigger problems among individuals with very high pathological sensitivity to ultraviolet light. They can induce disease activity in very photosensitive individuals with Systemic lupus erythematosus; standard acrylic diffusers absorb UV-B radiation and appear to protect against this. In rare cases individuals with solar urticaria (allergy to sunlight) can get a rash from fluorescent lighting. Fluorescent lamps with magnetic ballasts flicker at a normally unnoticeable frequency of 100 or 120 Hertz and this flickering can cause problems for individuals with light sensitivity, they are listed as problematic for individuals with epilepsy, lupus, chronic fatigue syndrome, and vertigo. Research on this is very limited. Fluorescent lighting can also induce depersonalization & derealization, subsequently, it can make depersonalization disorder worse. (Wikipedia:Fluorescent_lamp)
- “A recent study from the United Kingdom Health Protection Agency has found that there are measureable levels of UV from single envelope CFLs when used at distances closer than 1 foot. As a precaution, it is recommended that these types of CFLs not be used at distances closer than 1 foot, for more than one hour per day.” (USDA Center or Devices and Radiological Health)
- PureSpectrum Inc Essentially has gone out of business after loosing nearly $8 million.
- Ecobulb – This New Zeland based company have one of the best CFL products available. They are trying to enter the American market as Ecospiral
- Eco-Glo – Karma Industries from India, claims to have EMI-RFI filters in their CFLs.
- OSRAM SYLVANIA – The CFL/LED Hybrid lamp.
- List of 359 companies that supply fluorescents – Free registration required to access.
- All Products Supplier List – China
Research and Development
- Ballasts and High Frequency
- “Low cost ballasts mostly contain only a simple oscillator and series resonant LC circuit. When turned on, the oscillator starts, and the LC circuit charges. After a short time the voltage across the lamp reaches about 1kv and the lamp ignites. The process is too fast to preheat the cathodes, so the lamp instant-starts in cold cathode mode. The cathode filaments are still used for protection of the ballast from overheating if the lamp does not ignite. A few manufacturers use positive temperature coefficient (PTC) thermistors to disable instant starting and give some time to preheat the filaments.
- “Since introduction in the 1990s, high frequency ballasts have been used with either rapid start or pre-heat lamps. These ballasts convert the incoming power to an output frequency in excess of 20 kHz. This increases lamp efficiency. These are used in several applications, including new generation tanning lamp systems, whereby a 100 watt lamp (e.g., F71T12BP) can be lit using 65 to 70 watts of actual power while obtaining the same lumens as magnetic ballasts. These ballasts operate with voltages that can be almost 600 volts, requiring some consideration in housing design, and can cause a minor limitation in the length of the wire leads from the ballast to the lamp ends. (Wikipedia:Fluorescent_lamp)
- “The application note from International Rectifier provides the design of a 13W CFL compact using an IR53H420 Integrated Half-Bridge device. It is able to drive a 13W lamp from 110 or 220 VAC input, 34kHz frequency of operation and Softstart with cathode preheating. Instant start ballasts require an instant-start certified lamp and ignite a lamp in about 80 milliseconds or less using a high frequency electronic circuit. It starts the lamp without heating the cathodes by using a high voltage at around 600V.” (Electronic Ballast Design)
- PRINCIPLES OF H.F. OPERATION AND FREQUENCY LIMITS – “Increasing the frequency of operation from that of the normal mains supply of 50/60 Hz to typically 30KHz improves lamp efficacy by approximately 10%. The high-frequency mode results in low power loss at the cathodes which means more power is available in the arc. All well designed HF ballasts have a power factor of almost unity. This takes into account phase displacement of the fundamental components of supply current and voltage waveforms and also the harmonic distortion of the current waveform.” (Fitzgerald)
- Ballast Design Software Is Free – “The software, IRPLBDA4, reduces electronic ballast design time, producing a schematic and complete bill of materials.
- Features in the 4.0 version include support for dc input voltage applications and a new time-domain graph feature, based on a simplified numerical analysis technique. It shows ballast output waveforms, including the half-bridge voltage, lamp voltage and current and resonant inductor, and resonant capacitor current.” (International Rectifier)
- “Mercury is slowly absorbed into glass, phosphor, and tube electrodes throughout the lamp life, where it can no longer function. Newer lamps now have just enough mercury to last the expected life of the lamp. Loss of mercury will take over from failure of the phosphor in some lamps. The failure symptoms are similar, except loss of mercury initially causes an extended run-up time to full light output, and finally causes the lamp to glow a dim pink when the mercury runs out and the argon base gas takes over as the primary discharge. (Wikipedia:Fluorescent_lamp)
- Electronic Ballast Design – Electrical energy flows though the gas causing it to give off ultraviolet light (UV light) that excites a white phospor coating on the inside of the tube. This coating emits visible light.
- Google Search – High Frequency Shields – Shows a number of patents available for shielding us from high frequencies.
- Brown Researchers Create Mercury-Absorbent Container Linings for Broken CFLs – Nanoselenium cloth absorbs virtually all the mercury emitted from a broken CFL. (Nanotechwire; June 28, 2008)
- Selenium is also a toxic substance. Nano-selenium lowers the toxic levels considerably.
- Lighten Up in ’09: Shopper’s Guide to Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs: Green Lighting Guide – 1-page PDF – EWG’s Green Lighting Guide highlights the best CFLs, lists those Energy Star stamped bulbs that don’t meet the most modern standards and helps you use CFL bulbs safely in your home. (Environmental Working Group Research; Jan. 2009)
- “Encapsulated (double envelope) compact fluorescent light bulbs, which look similar to traditional domestic light bulbs, do not emit significant amounts of UVR. The larger long tube “strip lighting” design fluorescent lights, commonly used in offices, workplaces and homes for many years, can also be used on ceilings without any special precautionary measures.” (Health Protection Agency’; Oct. 9, 2008)
- “The industry welcomes the precautionary measure which purely relates to single envelope compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) for desk or task(1) lighting in very close proximity. The use of commonly available double envelope (2) type CFLs in these situations is considered entirely safe. CFLs of both types are regarded as entirely safe for general illumination (3). The precautionary measure requires that where people can be in very close contact (less than 30 cm) with non-shaded single envelope (4) light bulb for more than an hour at a time the CFL lamp should be replaced by a double envelope type. Alternatively it should be moved so that it is at least 30 cm or 1 ft away.”
- 1. Task lighting is lighting designed to illuminate work stations at close proximity.
- 2. Double envelope lamps are generally those which look like a conventional light bulb as they have a secondary enclosure around the fluorescent tube.
- 3. General illumination is that which provides the main illumination for a room and not close proximity lighting for special tasks.
- 4. Single envelope lamps are those where the fluorescent tube is not shrouded by an outer layer, generally these are a series of straight tubes or a coiled tube. (Lighting Association)
- Electrical Pollution Solutions – The only known cure for Radio Wave Sickness is to stop being exposed to high frequencies.
- SwissShield EMI Protection and Conductivity Solution – Electro smog textile protection using Swicofil.
Other Bulb Technologies
- Luxim > Video: Luxim’s tiny but powerful plasma lightbulb – Silicon Valley’s Luxim has developed a solid-state plasma lightbulb called Luxim LIFI™. It is the size of a Tic Tac and gives off as much light as a streetlight. The LIFI™ 8000 source was powered at 170 Watts and generates 24,537 lumens of white light at a color temperature of 6012K or 144 lumens per Watt. (CNet News; March 18, 2008)
- Warm White LEDs – 2-page PDF. (Edwards Sprinkler, Canada)
- Philips Halogena Energy Saver – Philips Halogená light bulbs offer a midpoint in energy efficiency between compact fluorescents and regular incandescent bulbs. A halogen bulb’s advantages over a compact fluorescent are that it instantly reaches peak brightness instead of gradually, it can be used with dimmers, its life isn’t affected by frequent on-off activity, and it contains no mercury. (Consumer Research; Jan. 10, 2009)
- More efficient Incandescent lamps – Foster-Miller is releasing aselective ceramic emitter that has a much larger fraction of the emission in the visible compared to the infrared region.
- GE Announces Advancement in Incandescent Technology; New High-Efficiency Lamps Targeted for Market by 2010 – “Advancements to the light bulb invented by GE’s founder Thomas Edison, that potentially will elevate the energy efficiency of this 125-year-old technology to levels comparable to compact fluorescent lamps (CFL), delivering significant environmental benefits. These advancements will lead to the introduction of high-efficiency incandescent lamps that provide the same high light quality, brightness and color as current incandescent lamps, while saving energy and decreasing greenhouse gas emissions.” (GE; Feb 23, 2007)
Sadly, GE stopped work on this technology towards the end of 2008 as a reaction to the global economic downturn. There is work in Europe on advanced microstructured Tungsten that will increase the efficiency of incandescent and tungsten halogen lamps, however there is no date for when this technology will be ready to bring to market.
- Sulpher Plasma Lamp – Originally invented in the USA back in the early 1990s, this uses a microwave magnetron to bombard sulpher in a fast spinning quartz globe. The sulpher reaches plasma stage and emits vast quantities of light across a broad spectrum. This technology is now owned by this company and LG in Korea who have developed the system to an lamp efficiency exceeding 100 Lumens per Watt, however the total lumen package is so high, it is only useful for industrial applications at present.
- “Noble gases are commonly used in lighting because of their lack of chemical reactivity. Argon, mixed with nitrogen, is used as a filler gas for incandescent light bulbs. Krypton is used in high-performance light bulbs, which have higher color temperatures and greater efficiency, because it reduces the rate of evaporation of the filament more than argon; halogen lamps, in particular, use krypton mixed with small amounts of compounds of iodine or bromine. The noble gases glow in distinctive colors when used inside gas-discharge lamps, such as neon lights, which produce an orange-red color. Xenon is commonly used in xenon arc lamps which, due to their nearly continuous spectrum that resembles daylight, find application in film projectors and as automobile headlamps.” (Wikipedia:Noble_gas)
- Argon = Blue color.
- Krypton = Purple color.
- Neon = Orange color.
- Xenon = White color.
Mercury is not a noble gas. It is a metal and produces atoms with wavelengths in the Ultraviolet spectrum. Phosphor salts are used to convert that to visible light. The glass envelope is supposed to prevent UV light from escaping. Mercury vapor works with noble gases to produce light, once it is excited with electrical current.
- Electrical Pollution Solutions – Presents various methods to reduce exposure to Electrical Pollution.
- Bulb Types Comparison Guide – from Lutron Electronics, a dimmer manufacturer.
- Carbon Footprint Comparisons – Does not include manufacturing costs.
- Chlorella man – Detox solutions for heavy metal poisoning.
- Energy-Efficient Florescents – Lists dimmable CFLs.
- Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs) – Fact Sheet/FAQ – FDA/CDRH Radiological Health Program.
- Think Twice Before You Buy Energy Saving Compact Fluorescent Bulbs – New research has shown that some energy saving compact fluorescent lights (CFL) can emit dangerous ultraviolet and electromagnetic pollution at levels that, under certain conditions of use, can result in exposures higher than guideline levels which cause devasting health effects on some people. (Prevent Disease; Jan 2009)
- The Law of Unintended Consequences – CFLs and Wind Turbines – The cheap CFLs, according to the video, may save electricity, may be “eco-green”, but they apparently are very “dirty” in spreading electric frequencies not conducive to human well-being (migraines) and in distributing UV light (acting like direct sunlight), causing skin rashes. (macCompanion; Feb. 1, 2009)
- CFL Facts and Myths – (Feb. 1, 2009)
- Don Klipstein’s Compact Fluorescent Top Page! – (August 2008)
- Doug Hembruff’s CFL page – (Nov. 2007)
- Dirty Electricity – Electrical pollution is not something you can see, smell, taste, or touch. It is not something you can sense, making it difficult for one to be aware of the presence of electrical pollution.
- Fluorescent lamp
- Literature Resources for Understanding Biological Effects of Electromagnetic Fields – Information Ventures Inc. (IVI) has collected more than 25,000 research papers related to the biological effects of EM fields for their commercially available electronic database, the EMF Database.
- Should There be a Ban on Incandescent Lamps? – “For those who want to know more about power factor, the use of CFLs in existing luminaires, or any of the other factors involved, please read on.” (Elliott Sound Products; Aug. 29, 2008)
- Feit Electic’s Company’s defective – Class action lawsuit against CLF manufacturer Feit Electric.
Government and Politics
- UK and US legislation – PDFs of Bills, papers and presentations on the move to CFLs and away from incandescents. (Save the Bulb.org)
- USDA Center or Devices and Radiological Health – “Fluorescent lamps, including CFLs, are electronic products subject to Section 532 of the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. Section 532 of the Act authorizes FDA to establish and carry out an electronic product radiation control program designed to protect the public health and safety from radiation that may be emitted from electronic products, such as the UV that may be emitted from CFLs.”
- “Although FDA regulates CFLs under the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 21 Part 1000, there are currently no specific standards or annual reporting requirements for CFLs. Manufacturers of CFLs are subject to CFR 21 part 1002.20, which requires CFL manufacturers to report accidental radiation incidents should any occur. In addition, CFR part 1003.10 requires manufacturers to notify FDA in the event of a product defect or failure which would result in an accidental exposure incident.”
- Federal EPA Mandates – US Congress debates the EPA-mandated law requiring a conversion to CFLs and what it takes to clean up a broken CFL bulb. (YouTube) 5.13 Minutes. (vodpod;June 3, 2008)
- 5.14 Minutes June 11, 2008.REP. Ted Poe Republican Texas speaking in the U.S. House on the energy savings bill, and the mandatory use of CFL light bulbs. From C-SPAN
In the News
- Why it’s time to throw some light on the energy efficient lighting row – The Daily Mail campaign against the removal of incandescent bulbs from UK shops earlier this month ricocheted through the media, generating comments and criticisms from all sides of the debate and leaving consumers and businesses in a state of confusion as to where the truth lies in this complex topic. (Business Green; Jan 20, 2009)
- Anti-CFL News – from “Savethebulb.org”.
- When CFLs Fail: How to Keep Your Compact Fluorescent Glowing – These pricey bulbs go out with an occasionally smoky, smelly bang, and, like any other product, they can fail well before their promised lifetime. But if you treat your CFLs right, they’ll give you long, energy-sipping lives. (Popular Mechanics; Jan. 15, 2009)
- More CFL Issues – Not all CFL bulbs showed UV radiation problems. Only about 20% of coiled bulbs emitted UV, perhaps as a result of inconsistencies in manufacture resulting in thin spots in the glass or phosphor coating variations. (About My Planet; Jan. 14, 2009)
- Daily Mail in Electrifying Light Bulb Shocker! – Last year I wrote about a study showing that CFL bulbs can do more harm than good, depending on where you live. (Just a Theory; Jan. 7, 2009)
- Energy-saving bulbs ‘can cause migraines’ warn experts – Energy saving light bulbs can trigger migraines, health experts and charities warned. They have been inundated with complaints about the fluorescent bulbs, which are due to become compulsory in homes within four years. (Mail Online; Jan. 4, 2009)
- CFL Migraine Concern Starts Crazy Wildfire – Seeking truth over rumor. (EcoGeek; Jan. 3, 2009)
- Getting burned and getting smart about CFLs – “Don’t get me wrong: The suckers make sense, whether you care about conserving energy or cash (or both). But I wish the utilities, government agencies, green gurus and Cameron Diaz would be a tinch more honest about the limitations of CFLs. That at least might lure back consumers turned off by twisties gone wrong.” (Oregonian; Dec. 19, 2008)
- Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb Problems—and Expert Fixes – Premature failures – and no real fixes. (Popular Mechanics; Aug. 2008)
- CFLs and Mercury: The Lesser of Two Evils? – CFL manufacturers are consistently working to create a better, safer product. While one of the world’s largest companies, GE, is researching newer, lower-mercury CFLs, other firms are attacking a variety of other CFL issues, such as a shorter “warm-up” time and dimmer-switch compatibility. Though CFLs are already a clear environmental favorite, the future only holds further refinement for the technology. (Cleantech Forum; May 20, 2008)
- CFL Problems Coming to Light: Good News for LED’s – The problems of CFL’s include a light quality that people do not like, difficulty in dimming, and safety issues related to their mercury content. (Energy Investment Strategies; Feb. 29, 2008)
- The shape of lights to come? Not everyone’s buying it – Now that more people are using CFLs, the bulbs’ shortcomings are giving some consumers pause. Consumers are raising concerns about the quality of light from such bulbs and say they often don’t work well with dimmer switches, in certain light fixtures or in hot or cold conditions. (USA Today; Feb. 28, 2008)
- Advisory aims to allay fluorescent bulb fears – The bulbs come to an end by charring around the base, producing smoke and emitting a bad smell. (CBCNews.ca; March 21, 2007)
- Tu-Wire® Dimming Ballasts Used With Compact Fluorescent Lights Recalled for Shock Hazard -The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announced a voluntary recall of the Tu-Wire® Dimming Ballasts manufactured by Lutron Electronics Co. Inc. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.
- Compact Fluorescent Recalls and Consumer Advisories
- Fujian Joinluck recall – 1-page PDF
- CPSC, Technical Consumer Products Inc. Announce Recall of Fluorescent Light Bulbs
- CPSC, Teng Fei Trading Inc. Announce Recall of Energy Saving Light Bulbs
Places to drop off bad bulbs:
- BALCAN – In the UK.
See Discussion page
- Flickering Fallacy – CLF Bulb Headaches – Lots of anecdotes.
- CFLs- A Tale from Dust to Dust – “When evaluating energy consumption or CO2 emissions of a technology, the full lifecycle of the product should be considered, not just its lifetime productivity. A proper analysis should include the CO2 emissions or embodied energy associated with all of the raw materials, all of the transportation and distribution, the operation and finally the recycling or decommissioning of the product.”
- Environmental Costs and Benefits of Replacing Old and Inefficient Things – Discussing the environmental impact of CFLs.
- Mystery solved: crappy CFLs – Many manufacturers have been cutting corners and putting C.F.L.s of lesser quality on the market, skewing consumers’ perception of the technology. (Environmental Economics; Jan. 27, 2009)
- CFL Bulb and Touch Sensitive Lamp – “As soon as I turned on the ceiling fixture at the wall switch both the CFL bulb and the touch lamp started freaking out – flickering strongly, the touch lamp cycled through its brightness levels. Within about 30 seconds the CFL went out and never came back on.” (The Stucco Company; Oct. 28, 2007)
- CFLs and marital bliss … no, not tonight … your CFLs give me a headache – Experts on energy consumption call it the “wife test.” And one of the dimly lighted truths of the global-warming era is that fluorescent bulbs still seem to be flunking out in most American homes. (Gristmill; April 3, 2007)
- Directory:Compact Fluorescent
- Directory:Compact Fluorescent Lighting (CFL) Downsides
- Directory:Light Emitting Diodes
- Directory:Field Emission Lamps
- Directory:Power Factor Correction
Mercury – the liquid metal with a boiling point 356.60 C, melting point – 38,90 C. Evaporate at room or even zero temperature. The contents of mercury vapor in the air increases with temperature and surface evaporation, which becomes particularly significant in the spill, when the mercury falls into many smaller droplets.
Mercury easily penetrates the slits floors, furniture, wall adsorbed porous bodies, including wood, paper, cloth, and plaster, long kept there and become the source of indoor air pollution.
Mercury has no odor, evaporating it turns into a colorless vapor; its sensory presence in the air is not detected. Chronic metallic mercury poisoning are described in the mercury mines and factories in the manufacture and repair of measuring instruments, electronic equipment, mercury rectifiers, pumps.
Mercury vapor penetrates the body through the respiratory tract. When entering the digestive tract metallic mercury is low toxic and almost entirely devoted to the faeces. There have been experiences of mercury poisoning as a result of rubbing mercurial ointment to the skin.
Mercury has the ability to penetrate in various organs (liver, kidney, spleen, brain, heart) and has an impact on the body, occasionally doing a depot in the blood flow. Excrete with the help of kidney, mucosa, digestive, saliva, sweat-gland, with milk and bile.
Acute Mercury Poisoning In The Home
Right click this link to save a copy of this PDF file.
The Dangerousness of Mercury Vapor
By Alfred Stock, Berlin-Dahlem
Kaiser-Wilhelm-Institut fuer Chemie
(Eingeg. Febr. 9, 1926)
Translated by Birgit CalhounWhen I am making the decision to report without hesitation to a wider circle about my personal problems, which ordinarily wouldn’t concern others and would not be worthy of publication, I am driven by the intense desire to warn emphatically all those who have to deal with metallic mercury about the dangers of this unstable metal, and to save them from the horrible experiences which have spoiled a great part of my life. Today I can speak about them freely because luckily they have been concluded, and they are behind me with sufficient distance.
The insidious horror of mercury is not nearly sufficiently well known and is being taken note of too little in those places where one is particularly threatened by it, in chemical and physical laboratories.
For nearly 25 years I have suffered from ailments, which, in the beginning, arose only occasionally, then gradually got worse and worse and finally increased to unbearable proportions so that I disparingly doubted my ability to continue to work scientifically. The cause was understood neither by me nor many outstanding physicians. They thought that it was possible that it could be found in the especially narrow built of the nasal passages and an unusual irritability of the nasal mucosa. Because of this, I underwent decades of treatments of the nose with cauterizations, burnings, massages, electrification, and bloody operations. Without success. Two years ago–a few of my colleagues fell ill with similar symptoms–it was accidentally discovered that it had to do with an insidious poisoning by mercury vapor. In my chemical work, which involves testing of volatile substances by the “vacuum method,” which uses mercury-tubs, -pumps, -manometers, and -valves1), I had been in constant contact with mercury for 25 years.
Today there is no doubt about the diagnosis any more because all my symptoms, although not gone completely, have more or less been diminished2), after having avoided inhaling mercury vapors for the last two years without the use of any other healing methods.
First I am describing the difficulties as they developed in me over time. They are identical to an insidious mercury poisoning in every detail. I was able to convince myself of this through my colleagues and other peers, who suffered and still suffer from mercury vapor poisoning. Some of them, it is noted, were not cognizant of the origin of their difficulties. Many pertinent symptoms have, up to now, been insufficiently described. At any rate, insidious mercury vapor poisoning has not received the attention it deserves.
With me the situation began with slight intermittent headaches and mild drowsiness, which increased gradually, over the years, to constant nervous restlessness and “jitteriness.” Head-pressure impaired the ability to think. It worsened and finally became an almost uninterrupted vexing headache (sits mostly over the eyes). I had strong vertigo, which was occasionally connected with visual disturbances (unclear and double vision). Soon the upper air passages were involved as well. This started with a slight transient nose cold. This was followed by a constant “stuffy nose,” which later turned into severe nose, throat and sinus infections. They were followed, one by one, almost without interruption, by pussy, often bloody, mucosal discharge and scabbing, frequent sore throats and ear aches connected to auditory loss and loss of smell (some sense of smell remained; e.g. cyanic acid). There was a distaste for tobacco smoke. During the last years prior to recognition of the poisoning, there were added signs: a strong flow of saliva, a sour, insipid taste in the mouth, infections of the eyes and oral mucosa. There were little blisters, sensitive and sore areas on the tongue, the palate, the gums and the insides of the lips and cheeks. There was reddening of the gums and slight bleeding while brushing the teeth. There were toothaches, receding of the gums and formation of “pockets” and temporary loosening of individual teeth. The mouth and tooth signs revealed themselves only (in part they only reached their peak months after recognition of the poisoning) because, since my youth, I have been taking good care of my teeth (among other things nightly long rinses with 1 and 1/2% hydrogen peroxyde solution and sodium bicarbonate). If this hadn’t been the case, I might possibly have become aware of the cause of my problems through mouth infections.
Other signs were: Mental weariness and exhaustion, lack of inclination and inability to perform any, particularly mental, work, and increased need for sleep. There were tremors of the spread-out fingers and also sometimes the eyelids. There was pain in various locations of the body, tearing in the back and limbs, and pressure in the liver area. At times, there were disturbances of stomach and intestinal activity, loss of appetite, sudden bladder pressure, isolated bouts of diarrhea, which occurred without other possible causes. There were sudden blistery rashes, e.g. on the insides of the arms and thighs.
The most depressing accompanying sign relating to mental work was the diminshment of memory. My memory, which had previously been excellent, left more and more to be desired and became worse and worse until, two years ago, I suffered from nearly complete memory loss.
Only with the help of extensive notes and great effort was I able to put together a scientific paper or deliver a lecture. I forgot the telephone number on the way from the telephone book to the telephone. I forgot everything that I had once learned by heart. I forgot the content of the book or theater play I had just read or seen as well as my own work, which had been published. It was impossible for me to remember numbers and names. Often even the names of good acquaintances were lost. Specifically, I lost the ability for arithmetic and mathematical figuring. Also my chess playing ability suffered. The impairment of memory, particularly that of people memory and the worsening ability to do arithmetic, seem to be signs peculiar to insidious mercury vapor poisoning. This showed itself in blatant form in my co-workers and other people whom I got to know who had been under the influence of mercury for a longer period of time. Soon after all of us in the laboratory had found out what was wrong with us, we sat down together to put down on paper a completed piece of work where we had to do a lot of mathematics. None of us was able to add up columns of ten to twenty multi-digit numbers without making mistakes.
While my physical ability, e.g. mountain climbing, did not seem to have been weakened, the ability to work mentally suffered a little, although not in as devastating a fashion as had been the case with memory. Added to that were depression, and a vexing inner restlessness, which later also caused restless sleep. By nature companionable and loving life, I withdrew moodily into myself, shied away from the public, stayed away from people and social activity, and unlearned the joy in art and nature. Humor became rusty. Obstacles, which formerly I would have overlooked smilingly (and am overlooking again today), seemed insurmountable. Scientific work caused great effort. I forced myself to go to the laboratory without being able to get anything useful accomplished in spite of all efforts. Thought came laboriously and pedantically. I had to deny myself working on solutions to questions beyond the nearest tasks at hand. The lecture that used to be a pleasure became a torture. The preparations for a lecture, the writing of a dissertation, or merely a simple letter caused unending effort in styling the material and wrestling with the language. Not seldom did it happen that I misspelled words or left out letters. It was not nice to be aware of these shortcomings, not to know their cause, not to know a way to their elimination, and to have to fear further deterioration.
All attempts to improve the situation went awry. Staying in the mountains for many weeks did not help. I felt hardly less ill than in Berlin. The nose treatments and operations sometimes brought short-lived, yet never lasting relief. It was peculiar that all mental difficulties disappeared for hours when the physician treated certain areas of the mucosa of the upper nose with cocaine. When the right spot was hit, headache and vertigo disappeared sometimes in a few minutes; memory, inclination to work, and good mood reappeared, but, sadly, only as fleeting guests. Sometimes I made use of this possibility to call them up before a lecture, an important meeting etc.
As already indicated, my colleagues in the laboratory, my assistants, doctorants [PhD Candidates], and female lab workers had already suffered for some time from all kinds of problems: Fatigue without recognizable cause, worsened memory, mild headaches and drowsiness, occasional digestive disturbances, limb aches, slight mouth inflammation, nose colds [runny nose], sinusitis etc. The difficulties expressed themselves differently from person to person, whereby they came to light foremost in the areas of lowest resistance. All of them showed fatigue and diminished ability to perform mental tasks [work]. But nobody had the idea that the cause of it could be the same for all of us. Only the convergence of several lucky/unlucky circumstances finally opened our eyes.
In 1921, out of frugality, we had switched off the much more expensive power consuming electrical ventilation system of the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Institute for Chemistry. Since the middle of 1923, two of my colleagues, an assistant and a Spanish guest, were working on gas density measurements, which required maintaining a constant temperature, and for this reason kept the windows and doors closed if possible. The work had to be done by the spring of 1924 because my assistant wanted to go into industry, and the Spanish colleague wanted to return home. The work was performed hastily so that our ordinarily scrupulous cleanliness suffered in every room. Spilled mercury remained unattended, and much of it lay under tripods, in cracks and slits between the floor boards and on tables. Thus the conditions presented themselves that, instead of the slow insidious mercury poisoning, the more easily recognizable acute mercury poisoning became apparent. The assistant fell ill more seriously, not only with headaches, mental fatigue etc., but also with stronger bodily deterioration; with tooth abscesses and such. His brother, a physician, suspected that the symptom complex pointed to mercury poisoning. The experienced poison researcher L. Lewin [Louis Lewin, 1850-1929] whom we consulted checked out all laboratory personnel and declared that, based on his experience, he was certain that all of us were suffering from mercury poisoning. Indeed the test showed (according to the procedure described in the following memorandum) mercury in the air of the workrooms as well as in the urine of all involved. The mercury content of the air in the individual rooms was quite varied: Depending on the results of the specimens it showed thousandth or hundredth of mg, i.e. only a small fraction of what the air under saturation with mercury vapor can accomodate. At room temperature, taking .001 mm mercury saturation pressure as its base value, this figures to be about 12 mg per cubic meter. Since man breathes in about 1/2 cubic meter air per hour, and the inhaled mercury apparently3) is retained for the most part in the lungs, it would require a very extended period of time in mercury saturated air to suffer from acute mercury poisoning. However it takes a long time after inhaling mercury containing air before the poisoning becomes obvious. For one or more years the signs may be limited to fatigue and slow diminuition of mental performance and memory. Thus the already mentioned Spanish colleague, for example, showed outward signs of inflammation of the oral cavity only at the very end of the year he stayed in our laboratory. The symptoms reached their climax months after he had left us, and after he was removed from the influence of mercury. He had noticed the mental effects much earlier without being able to explain the cause. “For me, it was,” he said, “as if I was getting dumber and dumber in Germany.” And I had to make similar observations with my remaining co-workers. Thus all my PhD candidates had difficulty withstanding the rigors of the doctor’s exams. The PhD candidates and assistants recovered after a few years, once they had left the laboratory without being aware of the mercury poisoning. As for me, the effects of the minute amounts of mercury increased over the course of decades as described in the following narrative.
Particularly significant for insidious mercury poisoning is a noticeable coming and going of symptoms. Following a few days or weeks of improved well-being comes, sometimes setting in suddenly, a time of increased ill health. This also happens in the form of frequent relapses during the recovery period. As soon as my illness had reached its pinnacle, there were, as a rule, one or two tolerable days. Then the saliva flow, runny nose, and sinusitis, starting from the nose down to the throat and sliding down to the bronchi, increased again. There were tooth inflammations, highest fatigability and drowsiness, vexing headache, often also tearing and diarrhea. Headache, drowsiness and memory loss are connected to the irritation of the nerves leading to the upper part of the nose seen in the already mentioned effect of cocaine application on the nasal mucosa.
Apparently there are many similarities between insidious mercury poisoning and the better known lead poisoning. The [latter] is more thoroughly researched because it happens more often in industry. It, too, concerns mainly the nervous system and shows the same waxing and waning of the symptom complex4). “After a period of health the poison can suddenly, without cause, display its effects again by evoking an attack of lead colic or other symptoms. This phenomenon can only be explained by the poison having been encapsulated for a long time in a place in the body to which, suddenly, the circulation has access again…”5). According to F. Schuetz and H. Bernhardt6) lead deposits itself preferably in the spleen, gall bladder, and brain, and is primarily excreted with the bile, possibly also through the colon wall. The kidneys, in this case, are less involved in the acute and chronic course of poisoning. Mercury seems to act similarly. After one year of excluding mercury as the cause of mercury poisoning, it could not be detected in my urine, in spite of the fact that there were still very strong signs of illness. The saliva, however, still contained mercury7).
After we had recognized the source of our illness, our first worry was how to protect ourselves from mercury in the future. The first thing, of course, was to remove carefully everything on tables, in drawers, slits, cracks and joints, and under damaged areas of the linoleum flooring, whereby a modified “vacuum cleaner” (consisting of suction connection, suction bottle with a long rubber hose in front of which was attached a cut-burner type widened glass nozzle) served us well. We had the linoleum repaired. All cracks in the work tables were eliminated. The dangerous corners between floors and the so-called scrub molding were rounded off (putty, painted with oil paint) so that they were more easily accessible for cleaning. Wherever tripods stood for a longer period of time, the joints between tripod and table tops were also closed off with putty. All open mercury surfaces on tubs, manometer holders etc. were covered as completely as possible with fit-cut cellon plates. We avoided eating in the work rooms or saving food and took especially good care cleaning our hands (particularly brushing our finger nails) after handling mercury. We also paid good attention so that no mercury fell into pockets and folds of the work coats. Moreover we gave full attention to the airing out of the work rooms by testing the success with air analyses (Compare the following memorandum). It was soon apparent that the reinstallation of the strong house ventilation system (very strong ventilators in the attic suck the air out through hoods; fresh air enters from channels through flaps above the doors) was not nearly sufficient enough to make the air mercury free. The situation in our laboratory is inopportune in that we are working with particularly many mercury apparatuses whereby open mercury surfaces and occasional sprinkling of mercury is not altogether avoidable. An added factor is that the work rooms in the very modern and well-built and furnished Kaiser-Wilhelm-Institut for Chemistry are so large (several hundred cubic meters air space) that the air does not get renewed fast enough by the ventilation system. In this regard smaller rooms may be advantageous because, naturally, the same ventilation works better and causes faster replacement of the air8). Sufficiently airing ventilation, in this case, as it turned out, is obtainable only through constantly opening windows and creating a draft (regulated by temperature, windspeed, and -direction). At the same time the ventilation system is at work. Because it rests at night, the laboratory is being supplied with fesh air through opening the windows wide. This measure is repeated at noon. Thus we have succeded in keeping the laboratory air so clean that traces are detectable only in small quantities, and we can continue working with our mercury apparatuses without having to fear new health problems.
Whenever one deals with mercury one should devote great care to the testing and cleanliness of the air. One should check the airstream situation in the work space9) and provide for as much fresh air as possible. It goes without saying that all work with mercury, if at all possible, should be performed under hoods10). That is the only way that protects from damage with certainty. These precautions are necessary even if one has to choose the path through the Scylla of mercury poisoning and the Charybdis of a cold. A chemical removal of mercury cannot be obtained according to our experiences. It had been suggested to distribute sulfur powder or zinc dust in the work place. We also tried large foil flags that were hung in long rows from the ceiling. Although tin foil amalgamates quickly if you put it into a closed container next to mercury, it failed in this case: The mercury content in the air did not lessen noticeably; one tin flag (33 X 100cm area; weighing 57g), which had hung for 11 months over a mercury apparatus, was weighed afterwards. It contained only .005 mg mercury.
The recovery from insidious mercury poisoning, after the removal of the poison source, takes place very slowly. Professor Lewin predicted this, and the development of our wellbeing confirmed this. The time period is visibly connected to the duration of the poisoning, and possibly also to how old you are. My co-workers who had left the laboratory were, thankfully, rid of their problems in the course of 1 – 2 years and have fully recovered the freshness of their thinking ability and memory. Nevertheless, even they had to suffer for a long time from relapses not only of mental but also of physical nature (particularly mouth inflammation). Some assistants and female lab workers continued to work here where they, unfortunately, cannot operate without mercury. Even today, after two years, they are still suffering from clearly visible, but steadily diminishing, after-effects of the poisoning. As for me, who was exposed to the damaging influences for over 20 years, the recovery apparently is taking the longest. All in all, I recovered the ability to work. I had only occasional relapses (headaches, drowsiness and mild mouth inflammation). Considering the course of the recovery up to now, I do not doubt, however, that my last co-workers and I will lose our symptoms completely. It seems that you have to count on it to take years to excrete the mercury again that took years to build up in the body. In this regard the following case has been educational to me recently, which at the same time proves that it is irrelevant for the course of insidious mercury poisoning whether the poison gets into the body via the lungs or through the skin11)
A medical assistant who had applied mercury salve therapy on his patients fell ill in 1905 with those symptoms (moodiness, headache, vertigo), which gradually got worse (fatigue, unbearable headache, oral inflammation, loosening and loss of teeth, constant runny nose, sinusitis, sore throat, ringing in the ears, hearing and vision disturbances). Only in 1911 was the situation recognized as mercury poisoning. The man stopped applying the salve therapy, but still needed many years before he lost his symptoms. After 1914, when he went to war he suffered from headaches and drowsiness. Today as a fifty-five-year-old he is again the picture of health and quite youthful.
It seems that an existing mercury intoxication preconditions a special sensitivity vis-a-vis renewed exposure from mercury vapor. Some of us who, at our work, and also during occasional mistakes with ventilation, had come in contact again with more mercury, noticed this soon because of the stronger symptomatology after the relapses. That is not surprising because, as the long development period of the insidious illness shows, a certain borderline value has to be reached before noticeable symptoms appear. The borderline value is certainly exceded for a long time, even during recovery, so that each added amount of mercury worsens your wellbeing at once.
On doctor’s orders we tried to hasten the recovery in various ways through use of diuretics and emetics, through hot baths and prolonged use of small amounts of sodium iodide. I do not get the impression that healing was particularly accelerated. The iodide has the reputation of bringing the metal into soluble form from insoluble organic mercury compounds. This is the form in which the mercury is probably anchored in the body. As far as I am concerned, there was no proof that significantly more mercury was excreted after addition of iodide. No progress was to be expected from diuretics, as already mentioned, since the mercury excretion in the urine had stopped relatively soon altogether. The healing arts are sadly lacking in medicines that detoxify mercury in the body 12).
Exercize in fresh air is still best suited to make the subjective symptoms less noticeable. With milder headaches and vertigo Novalgin has been proven worthwhile as a palliative. All in all, it has to be left to time to become master over this destroyer of peace. For me even a four-week long stay in the high mountains and an ocean voyage to southerly latitudes brought hardly any progress, (which normally occurs with unaffected people), although, naturally, the mental relaxation helped the nerves.
Why were our illnesses not recognized sooner as being mercury poisoning? I have often asked myself this question, not without self-accusations. The first signs, those that preceded the oral signs of slow mercury poisoning, are hardly known by the medical profession.13) They consist only of fatigue, lowering of thinking and memory skills, slight headaches and drowsiness and rare occasional diarrhea. In the same way, it was little known until now that the nose and remaining breathing passages are being compromised in the form of a runny nose and sinusitis. But exactly these symptoms brought me and the physicians who treated me on the wrong track, and have been misleading in other cases that I have come to know about. Thus one of my assistants was treated for a long time for a sinus infection before the true cause came to light. By the way, balanced judgment of the bad situation becomes impaired in those who are affected exactly because of the existing drowsiness: “Quem Mercurius perdere vult, dementat prius!” [Whom Mercury wants to destroy, he first robs of his mind!]
At this time I would like to warn about a little known source of insidious mercury poisoning: It is amalgam tooth fillings. Professor Lewin suggested to me at once, when he noticed mercury poisoning in me, to replace all amalgam fillings–of which I had a considerable number in my mouth since early youth–with other fillings. Telling me this, he recalled a case of a university colleague who was at the edge of mental and physical collapse when the cause was found just in time. It was found in the numerous amalgam fillings stemming from the time when he was young. After their removal slow recovery followed.14)
Dentists used to prefer copper and cadmium amalgams and now often use the so-called silver amalgams for tooth fillings because these amalgams are easy to work with and fill out the cavities well. Silver amalgam is superior to the earlier named amalgams, which corode and rot over time. However it, too, releases mercury at room temperature as the following assays15) proved to us:
We enclosed silver amalgam samples in an evacuated glass tube, which was bent [in the middle] at a ninety-degree angle with the ends melted shut. The horizontal tube shank with the amalgam piece was kept warm at 30-35 degrees C; the other shank serving as a recepticle, was cooled with ice or liquid air. We then measured the mercury that had sublimated in the receptacle in all cases.
- I. Amalgam piece carefully made for this purpose by dentist in the state-of-the-art method from metal powder and mercury: .801 g. Enclosed by melting into glass tube 24 hours after manufacture. Warmed [30-35 degrees] for 23 days. Receptacle in ice. Distilled mercury = 11.2 mg
- II. Same as above: .810 g. Kept for three weeks to make hardening as complete as possible. Only after that period of time was it enclosed by melting into glass tube. Warmed [30-35 degrees] for 12 days. Receptacle in liquid air. Distilled mercury = 15.3 mg
- III. Amalgam piece made by taking care using as little mercury as possible: 1.000 g. As in II. was kept in the open for three weeks. Warmed [30-35 degrees] for 9 days. Receptacle in ice. Distilled mercury = 8.2 mg
- IV. Amalgam filling, which had been in a tooth for years and had fallen out: .894 g. Warmed [30-35 degrees] for 14 days. Receptacle in liquid air. Distilled mercury = 29.4 mg
Without doubt, the fillings that were used here in the laboratory would have allowed mercury to evaporate from the mouth as well and supplied the inhaled air with a small amount of mercury, which, in the long run, has to be harmful. The old copper and cadmium amalgams are likely to be even more harmful.
For some time, one of my faculty colleagues had been suffering from occasional headaches and drowsiness the cause of which he couldn’t explain. After he had an old amalgam filling removed, which had caused a slight infection near the tooth in question, his symptoms disappeared gradually. After its removal the filling showed itself as crumbly and laced with mercury droplets, throughout.
Dental medicine should do without the application of amalgam as means for filling teeth altogether or, at least, wherever at all possible. There is no doubt that many complaints such as fatigue, memory weakness, oral inflammation, diarrhea, lack of appetite, chronic runny nose and sinusitis are sometimes caused by mercury that has been directed to the body from amalgam fillings, maybe only in small quantities, but constantly. The physicians should give this fact the most serious attention. Then it will probably become apparent that the frivolous introduction of amalgams as tooth filling device was a nasty sin against humanity.
Insidious mercury poisonings are certainly much more common than ordinarily thought. This is true particularly for chemists and physicists who so often have to work with it. The great danger here is being noted much too little, and the true cause of symptoms and illness is often not recognized. In literature you find almost nothing about this.16) Since the discovery of our misfortune I have found out about a dozen certain cases of insidious mercury poisoning, just in the circle of my acquaintances. They almost always have the same symptoms. Often the correct cause was missed and therefore the correct treatment was missed as well. An important example is that of a foreign colleague who had been working with mercury apparatus’ for a long time. When he visited me and I asked him whether he had ever felt any mercury poisoning, he decidedly said that he had not. Upon further questioning about his health he then admitted: “I am in bad shape. For years I have been suffering from neurasthenia and had to stay away from the laboratory from time to time.” The doctors had tried all kinds of things with him. They had treated him for stomach, intestinal, and ribcage disease with a special diet etc. In reality what he had been dealing with was full-blown mercury poisoning without doubt.
One unknowing victim of mercury poisoning has probably been Faraday. In the last two to three decades of his life, which came to an end in his late seventies, he was bothered increasingly by health problems, which made his scientific work more and more difficult, and which played a significant role in his letters and descriptions of his life. They were diagnosed by physicians as neurasthenia and early onset arteriosclerosis. They consisted of, at times, strong mental and physical fatigue, “irritable weakness,” headaches, vertigo, “rheumatism” and, more than anything else, constant increasing memory loss.17)
Faraday, being spared serious “bodily” illnesses, was even in old age a strong hiker and swimmer. But he avoided people for the last third of his life. Scientific work, including his lectures, were continued with long interruptions into the last decade of his life. It is heart rending to read in the great researcher’s letters that he went to see his physician friend so often to complain to him about vertigo and headache, that he couldn’t remember names, that he was losing the connections with his colleagues, that he was forgetting his own work and notes, that he was forgetting his letter writing, and that he didn’t know any more how to write words. “The affected organ is my head. The result is loss of memory and clarity and vertigo.” All these symptoms make it most likely that Faraday suffered from an insidious mercury poisoning from the vapors used in the laboratory. It makes you shudder to think how, in all likelihood, this rich intellect could have been freed from this suffering, and what gifts he could have given to science if the cause of his illness could have been recognized and remedied.
Maybe–Professor Jaensch (Marburg) brings this to my attention–the mysterious sickness the mathematician, physicist, and philosopher, Blaise Pascal (1623-1661), succumbed to when he was still young was mercury poisoning. Pascal worked with mercury in his well-known barometer research. His suffering from sustained headaches, vertigo, toothache, loss of appetite, and lasting bad colic complete the picture of advanced slow mercury poisoning.
No doubt mercury, the use of which sadly cannot be done away with in research, has done heavy damage to science in the past as it still does today in the way it curtailed the output of many a researcher. May this present-day warning help us pay better attention and avoid the dangers of this insidious metal.
Please view the bibliography in the original article: Die Gefaehrlichkeit des Quecksilberdampfes, von Alfred Stock (1926)
Geoengineering Destroying our Atmosphere [Rosalind Peterson] Chemtrails & LightBulbs eXposed!
Uploaded by women4truth on 11 Nov 2011
~support & study: http://goo.gl/N3XYW ~Rosalind Peterson of Agriculture Defense Coalition Website and the California Skywatch
~What In The World Are They Spraying? [+Dutch Subs] Full Length Chemtrails Documentary: http://youtube.com/watch?v=4Fy20BrsrUk
Rosalind PetersonRosalind Peterson is California President and Co-Founder of the Agriculture Defense Coalition (ADC). The ADC was formed in 2006, to protect agricultural from a wide variety of experimental weather and atmospheric testing programs.
Ms. Peterson also founded California Skywatch in 2002, when she began researching atmospheric testing and weather modification programs. The two websites are separate entities but are linked together by issues listed alphabetically in the “Categories” section.
Ms. Peterson was a Keynote Speaker at the 60th Annual DPI/NGO Conference on Climate Change (New York on September 5-7, 2007.) She spoke about agriculture and the negative impacts of experimental weather modification programs on tree and plant health, along with other important issues. Since then she has presented her United Nations Power Point Presentation to colleges, universities and interested groups. She has also been interviewed on numerous radio and television programs.
In 1995, Rosalind, now retired, became a certified California United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Farm Service Agency Agriculture Crop Loss Adjustor. She worked in more than ten counties throughout California. Many crop losses throughout the State can be attributed to weather related causes. She worked for five years for the Mendocino County Department of Agriculture as an Agriculture Technologist before being hired by the USDA Farm Service Agency in California.
Rosalind has a BA degree from Sonoma State University in Environmental Studies & Planning (1991 ENSP), with emphasis on solar power, photosynthesis, agriculture, crop production, and the efficient use of energy in the future. Ms. Peterson has won several awards and recognition for her extensive efforts to protect drinking water supplies in Martinez, California, from toxic chemical contamination. She also writes articles for NewsWithViews.com on many subjects including protection of the environment from ongoing, unregulated, atmospheric geoengineering experiments and weather modification programs.
She was born and rasied on a working farm in Mendocino County, located in Northern California, and from this early farm education feels that she has a working knowledge of agriculture, crop production, weather and other difficulties faced by the agricultural community.
California chemical drinking water graphs have been prepared from data available from California State Department of Health Drinking Water Division water tests for many of the chemicals found in the drinking water supplies of California residents. Those requesting use of the graphing program should contact Rosalind via E-Mail. Many graphs are already online and can be viewed or downloaded.
Posters, maps, banners, graphics, power point presentations, videos, petitions, graphs, and spreadsheets are also on this site. Those wishing to order two-sided color posters or maps should contact the ADC. The site is designed to facilitate research on various topics, to bring together various studies and how they interact with each other. It is designed to stimulate additional research from those interested in supporting this research effort.
Please be advised that the ADC is interested in receiving information that will hold up as hard evidence in a court of law. The companion website California Sky Watch will have additional information, carry current events, petitions, updates on current legislation, and will be a fast tracking action website for both Southern California Sky Watch and the Bonnefire Coalition. The ADC site has the database backup information and documentation for California Skywatch Website which interconnects through the “categories” section.
Broken Compact Fluorescent Causes Mercury Poisoning
June 13, 2008
RUSH: To Royse City, Texas. Jonathan, glad you called. Nice to have you here.
CALLER: Yes, thank you. I admire you a lot, and I really love your program.
RUSH: Thank you, sir, very, very, very, very much.
CALLER: I just wanted to tell you about a little incident I had at work with these lightbulbs that all the Democrats and liberals are promoting saying they’re better for everybody and —
RUSH: You’re talking about the compact fluorescent lightbulbs.
CALLER: That is correct.
RUSH: What happened, were you mandated at work to replace your incandescents with these compact fluorescents?
CALLER: No, sir, not exactly. What happened was, I was straightening stuff on the aisle, and I noticed that one of the boxes had fallen, and I picked it up to look at it, and one of the bulbs was broken on the inside. And there’s a little cut-out in the cardboard box, and I realized I inhaled some of the fumes, and I immediately went and placed it in a plastic bag and went —
RUSH: How did you know to do that?
CALLER: Oh, I heard it on your program, of course.
RUSH: You knew that there was mercury in there —
CALLER: I heard it on —
RUSH: — that is potentially dangerous and if you broke it in your house you call the hazmat people.
CALLER: I heard it on your program, of course.
CALLER: And so, anyway, my eyes started burning immediately, the back of my throat started getting dry and burning.
RUSH: Really? That bulb had already fallen from the shelf, you just happened to walk by and see it?
CALLER: That’s correct, and I picked up the box.
RUSH: That had the bulb in it?
CALLER: That’s correct. And basically I went to my boss and I said, “Hey, I think something happened. I think we need to make an accident report. And so we had to call a registered nurse through a hotline that we have at our work, and describe my symptoms to the nurse, and she said put your boss back on the phone, and she told my boss to call the paramedics right away and have them come treat me right away at the scene. The ambulance showed up with their truck, and they put me in the ambulance, hooked me up, wires and everything —
RUSH: All this for a broken lightbulb?
CALLER: That’s correct. And then they said, “We can’t tell you what to do, but you should probably go to the emergency room. They said we can take you or we’ll tell your boss to let you go or have somebody take you, however you want to do it, we’ll get you there.” And they told me that on the way to en route to where I worked they had to call poison control and find out exactly what they were supposed to do because even the paramedics didn’t know what they were supposed to do. And what they described to me, they described the wrong kind of lightbulb, they described the really long, like the eight foot long lightbulbs that you would see in a warehouse or —
RUSH: Yeah, the standard fluorescents.
CALLER: Yeah, so anyway I told them I just wanted to go to the emergency room and I’ll go by myself. Finally got to the emergency room, and the doctor walked in, he was like, “What makes you think you inhaled mercury vapor?” I was like, “Well, you know,” told him about the lightbulb, he basically looked at me and said, “I’ve never ever seen anybody that’s inhaled mercury vapor before. Honestly, I don’t know what to tell you. I’m going to have to go look this up in a book. I’ll be right back.”
RUSH: Now, wait a second.
RUSH: The EMS guys didn’t know what to do with mercury poisoning and the doctor didn’t?
CALLER: That’s correct, the doctor in the emergency room.
RUSH: Where is Royse City, Texas?
CALLER: It’s near Rockwall.
RUSH: Oh, well, hell, yes. Okay. Rockwall, Texas. We all know where that is.
RUSH: All right.
CALLER: Okay, by Dallas. So, anyway, he listened to my breathing and everything, make sure I wasn’t going to die, and he just said, “There’s really nothing I can do for you. There’s nothing I can give you or prescribe for you,” he said. “I don’t even think we have the necessary equipment to run tests if you were dangerously exposed to this stuff here at the hospital. We would have to take blood and mail it somewhere and get the results back in the next day,” if I wanted to do that, and I was like, “Okay, that’s great.”
RUSH: Now, now, Jonathan, I gotta tell you, some people here are listening to this and not believing it.
RUSH: Now, we’ve heard stories that if you do have a compact fluorescent in your house and if it breaks that you are to call hazmat people, but mercury vapors?
CALLER: Yes, sir.
RUSH: Mercury vapors. How come it only affected you? Were you the only one in the room?
CALLER: I was the only one on the aisle but as soon as I placed it in the plastic bag, I gave it to the individual who is supposed to defect the item out and seal it up and, you know, keep it protected and it was a short time after that where that individual started hyperventilating and couldn’t breathe, and they almost had to call the paramedics back again for her.
RUSH: Well, how long did it take you to recover since nobody could do anything for you?
CALLER: Just a few hours and a pounding headache and some Tylenol.
RUSH: America is at risk here, folks. I didn’t have any idea that it was this severe. Ladies and gentlemen, we are not prepared for the coming crisis. Do you feel like you made a sacrifice that nevertheless, Jonathan, was important to help save the planet?
CALLER: No, I do not. I felt endangered.
RUSH: Well, this is an incredible story. I had no idea that it could cause this kind of problem and that the medical community had no idea what to do. Jon, let me make you a suggestion since the medical community was not able to help you by their own admission. EMS guys didn’t know what to do; your ER doctor didn’t know what to do.
RUSH: Do not stop being monitored.
RUSH: Continue to be monitored long-term.
RUSH: We don’t know yet the full effects of this.
CALLER: I hear you.
RUSH: You’ve been an unwitting guinea pig, but you could perform a service with ongoing, regular monitoring of whatever levels, bodily fluids and this kind of thing. Do you know a good trial lawyer?
CALLER: I don’t. I could find one, though.
RUSH: Well, you might call John Edwards.
CALLER: There you go.
RUSH: Outta work.
RUSH: I’m just kidding about the trial lawyer business, but it’s like we have a program here, Keep Our Own Kids Safe.
RUSH: And the Keep Our Own Kids Safe program is an awareness program to alert parents to the dangers of soccer, the dangers to damaging the head of these young kids who go out and play, it’s far more dangerous than football out there. And I remember I had one guy call me. He didn’t think that our program was like worth it, the Keep Our Own Kids Safe program, he thought that it was much ado about nothing, and that I just had a bias against soccer, and he told me that he had been hit repeatedly, playing soccer a lot, he’d had a lot of head shots, he’s done a lot of this, and he was no worse the wear. And I said, well, the thing is that the victims are the last to know. I told him to continue to consult family members to tell him if there had been any changes in his behavior, because he admitted to me that he’d been beating himself upside the head with a soccer ball for a long time and he thought he was normal. But the victim is the last to know. You might think you’re normal when you’re not.
CALLER: I agree.
RUSH: I mean if something like this could happen, a compact fluorescent bulb and the medical community in Rockwall, Texas, does not know how to deal with it, this is frightening be stuff.
CALLER: It is.
RUSH: Well, I’m glad you had the courage to pick up that lightbulb. It was a great act of courage. You saved somebody else from perhaps getting real sick, you saw it, you knew, you knew because you had listened to this program, you took a risk that was sacrificial on your part, and you paid the price.
CALLER: I did.
RUSH: But you have lived to tell the story and to help others survive this kind of tragedy down the road.
CALLER: I did. I hope so.
RUSH: Well, you did. You are to be applauded.
CALLER: Thank you very much.
RUSH: All right, Jonathan. Thank you.
RUSH: I just went to the Consumer Product Safety Commission website. Jonathan, I don’t know how long ago this happened that you got your mercury vapor poisoning out there in Rockwall, Texas, but according to what I have just read on the Consumer Product Safety Commission website, mercury vapors are hazardous. You need to close your store and lock it down. Listen to this: “The US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is alerting consumers that mercury vapors (which have no odor) are hazardous. CPSC recommends that consumers avoid breathing mercury vapors.” Too late for you, Jonathan. “Most uses of mercury that expose consumers to fumes are banned,” except the compact fluorescent lightbulb, which we are being forced, over time, to put in our homes. “However, some ethnic traditions encourage the sprinkling of mercury around the house for religious reasons. This is hazardous because people — especially young children — could breathe the mercury vapors. Mercury can cause serious and permanent nerve and kidney damage. Mercury poisoning (acrodynia) has these symptoms: rapid heartbeat, sweating, irritability or hostility, withdrawal or shyness, memory loss, peeling of hands and feet, leg pain, slight hand tremors, difficulty with fine motor control (such as handwriting), sleeplessness, and headaches. Young children and children born to women exposed during pregnancy may be especially sensitive. If you believe you have mercury poisoning, see a doctor. If mercury has been sprinkled in your home, open all windows so the mercury vapors can escape. It may take several days of ventilation to eliminate the mercury. If you have questions about how to clean up and dispose of mercury, call your local health department.” They will send the hazmat team. “To avoid mercury poisoning, do not sprinkle mercury around the house or expose people in the home to mercury vapors.”
They just put weapons in our hands. You let the word spread on how toxic these lightbulbs are, in the average house, how many arguments take place between husband and wife and the 2.8 kids, somebody gets mad, unscrews the lightbulb and throws it at somebody else. Again, the environmentalist wackos forcing out the incandescent bulb by 2012, you’re not going to be allowed to have it, folks, whether you’ve got turtles on your beach or not.
Below you will find an interesting series of comments that were posted on my facebook about the picture above. Facebook deleted this picture and the comments below..and a CIA operative came in and posted a message and threatened my life…
- Barry Tudor
I just can’t bring myself to believe this, although there is this story, there is no credible evidence that this was the result of stepping on glass that was contaminated with mercury. The amount of mercury in the bulbs is minute, for one t…See More
Daniel J Towsey makes one wonder what else is in the bulbs… Think on this..HAARP is a microwave weapon that can emit any frequency..what would happen is all the bulbs blew up and vaporized their unknown contents all over your home..? Instant death is what I think.. HAARP and chemtrails metallic deflection shield will be coming into play soon..when they convince everyone that the 3D holograms of UFOs are real and they are attacking..
- Daniel J Towsey
have you read up on Nikola Teslas inventions and 800 patents.. have you heard about the multi phasing of energy waves? The science of energy waves manipulation is far advanced from what the public is told… yes HAARP is capable of manipulating any frequencies which all things in existence have.. Nikola figured out the method to play with any and all frequencies..including one that can split the earth in half…. Nikola invented the wireless light bulb, the fluorescent bulbs, AC current, the radio and more.. Marconi only visited Nikola to get the information on how to do it.. Marconi stole the credit for the genius of it.. there are more then 7 HAARP installions in the world. Each using billions of watts….to manipulate the weather, peoples psyche and much more… The idiot who are playing the HAARP in the sky will continue doing it until they do irreversible damage..like the hole they blew through the ozone layer over Alaska… secrecy will get us all killed..those who hide behind secrecy are free to do their insanity.. If they do not answer to the peoples of this planet then they do not answer to anything..What is to keep these insane folks within boundaries to reason? Nothing for they do not have to be reasonable.. They the NWO folks are dangerously insane.. The CHEMTRAILING of the whole planet is all the proof we need..that they are completely out of control and completely insane
- Barry Tudor
You hzve simply misunderstood, and are arguing for no reason, angry at me for trying to correct you. Microwaves are a thin slice of the electromagnetic spectrum, which apparently you either do not know or are certain I am ignorant of your greatness in knowing. I know of the studies of Tesla, of chemtrailing. You are off on a tangent, and ignorant of the science that surrounds you. Sorry to try to educate you in the electromagnetic spectrums…sheesh…
- Barry Tudor this was about the mercury bulb, remember?
- Barry Tudor see photo^
- Barry Tudor half knowledge is ignorance, and that is a method of mind control of the government, no? Mercurial vaccines, fluoride, the whole NWO agenda, dumbing down…learn, don’t get insulted
- Barry Tudor and your like fellows could learn a thing or three as well
- Daniel J Towsey Barry you have not proven to me that you know anything of the secret workings of HAARP..You have not proven to me that HAARP is not a micro wave weapon.. after all micro just means tiny.. HAARP is a weapon of any frequency including the one that cooks food.. any frequency can be sent through the atmosphere if the modulation or carrier wave has enough energy behind it..gezzzz
- Daniel J Towsey So if you know about HAARP then tell one very important thing is does that I have not mentioned her…
- Barry Tudor my god, microwave “limits” frequency…for one thing
- Barry Tudor limited to only microwaves
- Barry Tudor any frequency, as I mentioned in my first post, is from 1 hz to unlimited hz..did you even read it? and I don’t have to prove shit to you, you are an angry, uneducated fool wanting to argue a point you misunderstand.
Daniel J Towsey Barry the phasing makes it possible to carry any waves of frequency..these guys playing around with HAARP can emit just the correct frequency to blow all those mercury bulbs in peoples home.. Do you think people would survive the vaporization of all that mercury in a closed environment. You did not mention the single important thing HAARP does.. oh and I have dealt with many professional trolls before and amateur ones too…Half knowledge is not ignorance..ignorance is ignoring the truth when you here it.. Half knowledge just means that the person has not learned the other half ..but again there is not such thing as half knowledge as no one knows everything.. so how can one know half of knowing it all as in knowing 100%.. Not logical. Barry do not come to my profile to troll. I do not care for it..
- Matt Jones Well, I can honestly say I’ve been cut by one of these bulbs that broke. Nothing of that magnitude happened. I bled, it healed, that was it. js
- Barry Tudor Daniel, I know ALL about HAARP, please stop telling me what you know about it. I am on YOUR SIDE, for the last damn time. Really.
- Daniel J Towsey Barry no one knows everything about HAARP.. it is an on going experiment so even those playing the harp in the sky do not know everything about it..
- Daniel J Towsey Any way Barry… HAARP is also capable of projecting crystal clear 3d holographic images of UFO’s, buildings, cities or anything else they want..it has already been perfected..there plan is to terrorize everyone that there is a ufo invasion andthat the UFO aliens are using energy beam weapons to kill the people..HAARP will be that weapon..be very worried when the chemtrails planes no longer fly..That will mean that the shield has been completed..
- Barry Tudor REALLY????8)
- Barry Tudor Tell me more, oh please tell me more!
Daniel J Towsey Barry no one can tell you anything… you know it all already and with your own words everyone only knows half of what you know..
- Daniel J Towsey barry you are so funny..you tell me and the whole world you know it all. but you can not tell us anything of what you know.. You sound like an over educated (brainwashed) idiot
- Barry Tudor my last word to you tonight. You have worn me out.
- Daniel J Towsey I wore you out..hahah wow you are really weak
- Barry Tudor I didn’t say I knew it all you fucking fool, not one time. I have a science background. I am a scientist. I know some science. That is all. And a damn sight more than you, for sure. You are a smartass motherfucker, and I would kick you in the nuts if you were within five feet of me. How;s that for civil? Fuck you daniel.
- Barry Tudor wallnut headed cocksucker…
- Daniel J Towsey Barry your an idiot..you never answered any of my questions…
- Barry Tudor and that would be “you’re” not your…dumbass.
- Daniel J Towsey Barry I can not bring my self down to your stupid level…you are just a stupid troll.. If you had come to my profile to offer intelligent and informative food for though to share with others it would be great. But that is not what you did… you are so mentally WEAK
- facebook is blocking me from seeing my profile page content..all I get is a blank page below this line
- Jerry Aonoymous That sucks….
Daniel J Towsey go to the bottom of this link and check out the comments under the picture of the foot… I got two threatening comments and then my page went blank… But I copied the comments.. check it outhttp://danieltowsey.wordpress.com/2012/04/29/a-truth-soldiers-random-comments-collection/
- Daniel J Towsey yes an i deletted his rude and threatening comments. Another guy cam in and did the same thing and I delletted him and rblocked him..they were professinal trolls.. I do not think they liked my commenting about what HAARP was going to be used for and the mercury bulbs being blown up by HAAARp..sending mercury vapour in everyones homes in a closed environment it would kill everyone
- Daniel J Towsey i was right. Barry was professional troll and his back up came in to support him and threatened my life..
- Daniel J Towsey only the stuff from earlier in April.. all the stuff from may is gone
- Phia Hunsaker I’m getting notifications.
- Daniel J Towsey Interesting…
- Daniel J Towsey Barry is from Minnesota..I wonder if that is where the NSA data center is where all the trolls work
- Daniel J Towsey here is barrys profile link http://www.facebook.com/ZNOFOB
- I just found the link to the comment thread i was on with Barry and here are the comment i can not see on my profile page as facebook is blocking my timeline..
- Barry Tudor · 90 mutual friends
- And you are mentally deranged, too much weed up there in quebec, or was it lsd? what cooked your skull? Did your daddy ass rape you? Did you mama let other men come to her room?
- Barry Tudor · 90 mutual friends
- I tried very hard to be civil, and to explain the science behind the things you bring forth as truth (which are not quite true) but you believe what you want. Troll, you are the troll, the fear troll, the untruth troll, the liar but get scared troll, get over yourself and your photography, which is mediocre in the first place. Try to teach you, but you wanted to argue.
- Daniel J Towsey Barry I do not know if you can read this..But facebook has blocked all my may timeline.. I do not believe that facebook approves of your threats and comments… you might be wise to expect a knock at your door.. remember who owns facebook..the CIA and NSA
- Facebook has blanked out my timeline and has given me no notice or reason..check it out..click on my name
- Dan Concernedcitizen Crazy! 😦
- Daniel J Towsey i will be posting on my page here until in is fixed https://www.facebook.com/ATruthSoldier
- A Truth Soldier
- CLEAN UP OF ENERGY SAVING
- COMPACT FLUORESCENT LIGHT BULBS
- from the New Zealand National Poison Centre
- What Are These Light Bulbs Made Of?
What is the risk from mercury contained in these new compact fluorescent light bulbs (energy saving light bulbs)? How should these light bulbs be properly cleaned up and disposed of?
- Compact fluorescent light bulbs are filled with neon or argon gas, a very small amount of mercury and coated with a fluorescent or phosphorescent powder. When activated by electricity, the gas combines with the powder to produce light visible to the human eye.
- Can I Be Poisoned By The Mercury?
- The amount of mercury in these bulbs is very small; about 1 to 5 mg, compared to 4 g contained in most mercury thermometers. Mercury thermometer spills require a very specific and correct clean up to prevent toxicity, which can be accessed here. The risk of poisoning from the mercury in compact fluorescent light bulbs is considered much lower than mercury thermometers.
- …Mercury vapor is ingestible through the lungs, it is more like uranium than ‘thermometer’ mercury.
- What If The Bulb Blows Or Breaks?
- If the bulb stops working (“blows”) the mercury is contained within the bulb and poses no risk to health. If the bulb breaks altogether, the greatest risk is likely to be cuts from the glass or breathing difficulties from inhaling the powder. Even if inhaled or on the skin, this amount of mercury is not expected to cause poisoning in a one-off situation.
- …So how many is bad? Or too often?
- How Do I Clean Up A Broken Bulb?
- …This may only clear the air of mercury vapor, as soon as the glass or dust is disturbed the air is recontaminated.
Remove all jewellery – mercury may cause it to permanently discolor
- …Vanity is our name, we are more worried about jewellery than our children’s lungs.
Use two pieces of card/paper to scoop together the debris, taking care to minimize spreading the powder
- …Mercury vapor is microscopic how would you know were it is?
Use a damp paper towel to pick up powder
- …A damp paper towel will not prevent the vapor from mixing with the air.
Dab the area with a sticky tape to pick up small amounts of powder remaining or broken glass
- …Another futile action, mercury vapor will soak into fabric, ie blankets, stuffed toys and pillows.
Wrap all debris and cleaning material well and place in a sealed plastic bag and dispose in accordance with your council regulations
- …The only safe way to transport mercury vapor is in a hermetically sealed container.
It is now safe to vacuum the area (Ensure you throw the bag away (or wipe out the canister) immediately following the first use of the vacuum)
- …This will not clean the mercury vapor in the hose or the filter, only regular use over a period of time will remove the mercury, unfortunately into the air you and your children are breathing.
- I’ve Cleaned It Up, Now Where Do I Dispose Of It?
- You should dispose of the residue in accordance with your local council regulations.
- Transition Towns Kapiti and KCDC recommendation – Any broken lightbulbs are to be taken to council or to Paraparaumu Library where they will be collected and boxed up and sent to a Lightbulb recycler in Australia. (http://ttk.org.nz/?p=78)
- Letter to the Observer … ignored…
- Cellphone towers … Are they as bad as CFL light bulbs?
- We would like to draw your attention to this report, ignoring the ‘political’ side of this article, we think you need to research the possible/potential dangers to your children if/when a CFL light bulb breaks in your child’s bedroom/environment. The advice the government and KCDC are giving out is that if a bulb breaks in your home you are to ventilate the room for 15 minutes before cleaning up the broken class, keeping CHILDREN and ‘pregnantees’ away. Well the first 15 minute ventilation will only clear (and that is questionable) the air originally ‘contaminated’ as the glass and mercury fell through it to the floor. BUT the glass and the area it landed on (your child’s bed?) is still contaminated with microscopic mercury vapor/dust, every time this area or the glass is disturbed it recontaminates the air. KCDC and the governments advice is to “place the contaminated glass in a box or bag and take it to the library or council office”. The only safe way to transport a broken bulb is in a hermetically sealed container.
- Unbelievably they also recommend vacuuming up the dust, which contaminates your vacuum cleaner and spews more mercury vapor around your house for the life of the cleaner.
- Mercury is accumulative and the more you ingest the more you will have in your body.
- Your car will also be contaminated, as the transported broken bulb will continue emitting mercury vapor, into the closed environment you and your children are sitting in. Who can’t work that out?
- This should be a concern to parents, more so than a cellphone tower that is for sure (we agree towers should not be in residential areas). Every time a broken light bulb container/bag is moved it contaminates the air, for example, then carrying it into the council office, picture the Charley Brown cartoon character Pig Pen with his cloud of dust. We are ecstatic that the council office is being contaminated, and encourage as many broken light bulbs as possible should be delivered to the fools – as they have advised us to.
- ——— DO NOT TAKE THEM TO THE LIBRARY ———
- We are sad you have been given incorrect information by the Government and KCDC and that you and your children are being placed in harms way.
- A govt report is due out in August, yet KCDC is mad keen on getting as many of these toxic bombs as they can above the heads of our children. It is kind of like saying keep taking the thalidomide, until the report comes out in 6 months time.
- NB – Gerry Brownlee has taken our advice and stopped the banning of the old bulbs. As proposed by labour and the green party.
- Some snips from the American report that has ‘stimulated’ this government to take a closer look.
- «Well, it was about three months after the bulb actually broke, and we had plastic down on the floor and had ventilated with windows open up there, and had moved my daughter to a different room in the house, and when almost three months later when they came back and removed the carpet, the bag where they had placed the carpet into still had readings higher than the state’s danger level.
- But I just believe what the science tells me and it tells me in every piece of literature and every statistic that I’ve read that mercury is not a good thing. The mercury contained in the bulbs is completely different from the mercury our parents used to experiment with at school. That was a liquid form of mercury that has to be ingested before it really harms you, but this powder mercury is inhaled. It goes into the air and vaporizes like a gas, and you inhale it and then it’s absorbed into your lungs. It’s an accumulative metal, it just keeps building and building in your bloodstream, so the more you are exposed to it the sicker you become.»
- Robert Atack
- Transition Towns Peka Peka
- 0274 301 574
- Also note insurance companies will not pay to decontaminate your house.